Instead of merely being a platform for public display of frustration and narcissism, social media is also now an intrinsic part of just about every shopper’s online habits. Be it looking for Japanese buffet in Klang Valley, tour package to Boracay, an elegant gown for company’s annual dinner or wine delivery in Singapore, today’s consumers tend to compare prices, read reviews and make purchases online. It is a potential method to direct new visitors to your website, but nevertheless a great number of businesses are still unable to turn their social media endeavour into profits. A survey by Harvard Business Review found that only 12 percent of businesses perceive that they are using social media effectively.

This can be caused by two reasons:

  1. Lack of clear strategy and focus for social campaigns; and
  2. Social media is not an ideal marketing channel for every business.

It is important to understand that social media serves purposes other than directing sales. Maintaining active profiles on social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram also serves as an extension of customer service, a way to strengthen brand awareness, a place to enhance customer engagement and a method to acquire discernment into what your customers care about, all which concomitantly contribute to a rise in overall sales.

Here are five tips to help you build a successful social media game plan for your e-commerce website.

  1. Engage with Your Audience

In order to get more conversion, it is advisable to allow your customers to use an existing social profile (ie. “log in with your Facebook account) to log in as it will cut down on lengthy, time-consuming registration steps.

Also make sure that your homepage, product pages and order confirmation pages have easy social sharing buttons as customers’ recommendations, positive reviews and high ratings are mightier than any copywriting.

facebook like

  1. Avoid Overselling

Although it is great to share special sales, discount, promotion and new items, these types of advertising posts should only make up a small percentage of your content. Experts suggest an 80/20 ratio, with just 20 percent of your content being promotional in nature and the remaining 80 percent consist of content that truly interests your audience and engages them in conversations.

Notwithstanding that discussions on current events or popular TV shows may appear to be irrelevant to your business, they show your customers that you are in touch with their interests.

  1. Get Visually Creative

Photographs possess the highest sharing potential on social media platforms.

For service oriented businesses, visual content such as quotes, infographics and motivational images should be considered. Reposting contents that consumers have shared will strengthen relationship with existing customers as well as engage with new customers.

  1. Measure and Improve

Appraise your activity on all platforms to find out the best times to post, what types of content get the best engagement and which are your star products to improve your website and fine-tune your social media activities.

  1. Sweeten the Deal

Instead of focusing on getting your customers to purchase, think about what you can offer them. Exclusive offers and bonuses are useful in gaining customer loyalty.

At the end of the day, social media marketing is all about understanding your customers. Be smart, be focused and be consistent in your efforts and you will see positive results.

 

 

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube